Monday, March 20, 2017

Wilma's quilt


There were two quilt shows on Saturday, and by the end of the day I was bushed. But there was a nice surprise at second of the two shows, hosted by the Metropolitan Patchwork Society at the Beaverton Library. I turned the corner and saw this beautiful red, white and green quilt and I thought, "That looks familiar."


It looked very much like one of the quilts in my book, a rescue quilt. The only difference was the cornerstones, nine-patches in the original and stars in the new one. Then I read the tag.


How awesome is that? I loved what Wilma said about being 96. She figured she'd best get going on the project. A New York Beauty was on her bucket list. So, with the help of her daughter she completed this beauty.




As it turned out, Wilma was there with her daughter, and I met them both. What a delightful surprise!


I love knowing quilt makers can look at my book and make a quilt, even if there isn't a pattern. That's one thing I really wanted the book to do. Thank you to Wilma and her daughter for making my day!

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt!!! She is so inspiring and does not look her age!!! I have quilting friends who are 20 years younger than Wilma but who can no longer hand quilt due to arthritis! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest thing ever! So happy to hear that you got to meet her. I'll bet she was pretty thrilled as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for being guiding lights. Wilma for showing that we can do it at any age, and Bill for showing us that it can be done. Thank you~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been quilting for over 40 years and have found a new hero! Wilma I am so impressed and encouraged reading about your work. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making quilts for over 40 years and am so impressed and encouraged by Wilma. Thank you so much Wilma for inspiring me to keep my needles sharp and threaded!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful blog post to welcome a new week! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is just COOL..... thanks Wilma for the great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story and how inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story, Bill. So terrific that you also got to meet Wilma. Who knows where her quilt will be in 100 years?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the connections we have available to us and the ones we make ourselves. Well done Wilma, and well done Bill!

    ReplyDelete