Thursday, January 19, 2017

Ka Ua Kani Lehua

"Ka Ua Kani Lehua" Hawaiian applique quilt, 80" x 81"
The box from Hawaii arrived yesterday, and the first quilt I pulled out was the cheddar orange and white appliqué quilt attributed to the Wilson family of Kailua. I have not been able to find a link to a maker in the family, and I'm starting to get the feeling the quilt may was purchased, but it would've been a long time ago.


There is some discoloration in the lower section of appliqué where the fabrics appear to have darkened. I will test the fabric for colorfastness, and if everything looks good, I will probably try to wash the quilt. It needs some TLC, there are also a few holes and burn marks, but before any restoration it needs to be as clean as possible. It's a lovely thing, worth the effort. 

1 comment: