Sunday, January 8, 2017

Aloha!


It's freezing cold in Portland, so I thought I would go to Hawaii for a few days. I'm in Honolulu, enjoying the sunshine, the Island cuisine and a little vintage shopping.


I'm staying in a beautiful penthouse apartment on Waikiki, right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the marina. The rate was significantly less than all the good hotels in the area, including the Hilton. I love being able to hang loose and cook up an onolicious plate lunch in the kitchen.






The view of the marina is amazing. This morning there were boats coming and going, and giant canoe races along the outer edges of the marina and the Hilton's lagoon.


Shopping around town is good. I went to Foodland for poke, and the ABC Store in the morning for more POG juice. POG is amazing. It stands for Passion Orange Guava.


POG is pretty much all I want to drink here, other than some Kona coffee and an occasional Longboard Golden Ale.


Last night, while I was smacking my lips over the spicy fresh Ahi poke and seasoned edamame, I heard explosions outside. It was the Friday night fireworks display at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, and it was glorious!


Slept well with the sound of the ocean outside. Had some fresh pineapple and other goodies for breakfast. I'm really getting into the spirit of things. There may have been some SPAM involved.


Honolulu and Waikiki Beach are simply gorgeous. If you haven't been there, put it on the bucket list...unless of course you don't like jaw-dropping vistas, gorgrous tropical food and friendly people!



I spent some time vintage shopping the last day and a half, and found some cool stuff. Kalakoa, da kine I like, broke da eyes, aznuts!! More about that later. 


Driving a Jeep. It's fun. I may have to take the top off and go to the beach. Perfect car for an Island getaway.



Do I feel guilty leaving my friends behind in icy Portland? And am I ashamed to be frolicking in the sun while my family is snowbound in New England? Maybe a little, but to be honest, not really. It's been a very long time since I took a vacation that was just me time. It's a new year, and it's my time. 

6 comments:

  1. Embrace you! You deserve it! I'm glad you are enjoying the warmth of Hawaii. I'm taking advantage of this cold spell to make serious progress on a project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "onolishious" -- Granddaughter Genevieve caugh a yellow fin tuna and a wahoo/ono in Cabo last week. She caught them on 12/31, so finding a place to eat, let alone have a chef cook the fish, was not going to happen. Genevieve came home on Jan 1, so left the fish with friends in Cabo. From what I have read, they are "onolishious".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your vacation! Not that many months ago, we were at the neighboring Sheraton. Alas, there was no thrift shopping for me while in Hawaii. I'm a bit jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Although Waikili looks beautiful, I truly enjoy spending my winters in snowbound Maine. I am curious to see what you have in those bags. Particularly the colorful scrap bag! Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have FUN!!! It looks like the ice and snow will be t here when you get back. Multnomah Falls is almost frozen. We got a little rain on Sunday so it's getting a LITTLE warmer but not much. Enjoy you island getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an AMAZING trip. Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete