Saturday, December 3, 2016

tropical vibe

Log Cabin with Hawaiian fabrics, c. 1975, California
This Log Cabin quilt came from an Etsy seller in San Luis Obispo, California. It has a wonderful, tropical vibe.


The quilt includes a scrappy variety of fabrics, and many are Hawaiian prints. Dimensions are 90" x 101" and it is tied. It has batting, and multiple shades of olive green in the background reinforce the scrappiness.


This quilt is a good example of why it could be useful to recognize a sub-catagory of Hawaiian scrap quilts-- those found outside Hawaii. The fabrics make it Hawaiian, even though it was found elsewhere.



In most cases, the examples in my collection were found in Hawaii, but there is value in looking at quilts discovered elsewhere, especially when considering the distinctions between the quilts made in the tropics and those with a tropical vibe. 

2 comments:

  1. Back in the day I would have referred to many of these fabrics as MOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Laura. I see lots of flowers in the log cabin quilt but they don't really look Hawaiian to me. I've actually used lots of Hawaiian fabrics in quilts. Oh, I live in Hawaii

    ReplyDelete