Friday, January 18, 2013

Here I am!


I promise, this isn't turning into a cat blog! I'll get back to quilts soon, but this week my attention has been on two things: a dear friend whose father is hospitalized with a very grim prognosis, and Little Lulu. I've spent most of the week at the hospital. At night, I've come home late and Lulu's been there. She was really able to get my mind off things. "Here I am!" she says. "Pay attention to ME!"

This morning, Lulu's out and about and is sitting right next to me purring. I think she's finally over hiding under the bed, and she's certainly stolen my heart. But she's also helped heal it. When I look at Lulu, I can't help but see Boo. She's like the young, energized version of the slow-moving, fragile cat I'd become so used to having around. Of course, I still miss Boo. Having Lulu around really takes the sting out of it. She's also comforted me after long, heartbreaking days at the hospital. We've only been together for a week, and I've been gone a lot of the time, but we're clearly bonding.

I think this is the beginning of a long, beautiful friendship. 

7 comments:

  1. so good to see the gorgeous girl out and about. yup, definitely enough room in our hearts to love more than one sweetie, so glad you let this cat into yours. you're helping each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate hearing more about Lulu! When dear Boo had to leave, I definitely identified with you; we moved 2 older cats the 1300 miles down to Florida 5 years ago, and since then had to say goodbye to Mindy this August, at 16+ years of age, and are barely hanging onto Dutch, who is over 15 himself. We introduced a kitten into our household a year ago -- were not going to do it, but she was being chased by neighborhood Toms, and had clearly been abandoned by her family and was not savvy enough to stay alive without our intervention...I felt disloyal at the time, but I am so glad that she is here! Dutch has mentored her and taught her how to ask for treats, how to sit in the window, wrestle, etc etc. Wonderful! I am glad that Lulu has found you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great and I don't mind hearing about the lovely LuLu. I meant to comment when I read about Boo, very sad. But glad that LuLu is making you feel happier, pets are very special friends :-)
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly believe animals pick us, we don't pick them. My current cat came from a shelter, had been abandoned, and adopted out 2 times and returned for various reasons. She is the BEST cat for our household, loves me like crazy, yet runs when anyone else comes into the house. Lulu is the perfect name for this new kitty, sometimes I wonder who needs who more! Us or them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its okay if this becomes a quilt blog. Quilts warm your body, cats warm your soul. Sorry about Boo, but lucky, lucky Lulu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photo of a great little cat! You can just feel her personality shining through..all the curiousity, and some of her mischief, but most of all that SHE is watching your every move in her own little way!

    ReplyDelete